Friday, July 19, 2013

Fern Cottage

Hello Friends. Today I wanted to share with you the newest addition to my Mom's backyard. My Mom has always loved to be in the backyard and has always loved to garden. I am actually a little surprised it took her this long to come up with the idea for a garden shed. In its place used to stand a lovely gazebo. My Mom married my Step Dad in that gazebo, I renewed my vows in that gazebo, and had maternity pictures in front of the gazebo. I loved that gazebo. It was getting old and it was going to need a complete overhaul. So, Mom decided rather than restore the gazebo- she wanted it torn down and repurposed into a garden shed.

Thankfully my Step Dad is the type that can build anything under the sun, and they both love projects. So earlier this summer they got all the sketches together and began to build what my Mother now affectionately calls "Fern Cottage." It took a lot longer than expected- as do most projects, but the end result is just so charming. The front porch is my favorite part- it's so peaceful sitting there in the afternoon. The inside is surprisingly spacious and holds all sorts of odds and ends my Mother has picked up over the years. I was a little sad to see the gazebo go, but Mom will actually get a lot more use out of this than she ever did the gazebo. Welcome to "Fern Cottage."









2 comments:

  1. OMG! What a gorgeous gorgeous spot! I have a an old shed that came with the house when we bought it. Would love to tear it down and put one of these there! This deserves to be in a magazine. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the cottage is so lovely. They did a very nice job, now Nora can make memories with Grandma and Pa Paw on the front porch.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete