Thursday, August 2, 2012

August Begins...

Hello Friends. I can't believe it is August already- where does the time go? It's been an eventful week for me thus far. Tuesday I had my appointment with the diabetic educator at the hospital. She went over all sort of things with me, including how to use my glucometer. I left feeling very overwhelmed and a bit stressed out. I went from that appointment to a tummy check at my OBGYN. The practice I go to has ten different doctors and you rotate who you meet with. The Dr. I had this time was so sweet, she had gestational diabetes with both of her kids so she could completely relate. Miss Nora is measuring exactly 28 weeks and all my other stats looked good. One good thing about being "high risk" is that I get to have another ultrasound in a month to check on things. I can't wait to see our little Noodle again-although she certainly doesn't let me forget about her with all the kicking going on.

So I have been checking my blood sugar four times a day since Tuesday. I check first thing in the morning when I wake up and then 2 hours after the start of each meal. It's a lot to keep track of. I have to eat 6 times a day about 3 hours between each meal. I keep a food journal and count every single little carb that goes into my mouth. I feel at the point like it has taken over my life- although I know I will get used to it. The diet itself is just so much different than how I am accustomed to eating. There are so many things that are just out- there is no way I can even think of eating them. One of my handouts says I could eat a 2 inch square of unfrosted cake as a serving of carbs (keeping in mind the most carb servings I can have at my largest meal are 4)- can you imagine?! No, thank you. I meet with the dietician on Friday, basically to see what else I am doing wrong. Sigh....

And although part of me wants to kick my feet and say I don't want to do this, I don't want to obsessively meal plan and count carbs and watch the clock and poke my poor little fingers and hold my breath with terror waiting for the reading to pop up on my monitor....I still have lots to look forward to this month. Nick has been so helpful and supportive. Tuesday he brought me home a gorgeous bouquet of yellow roses to cheer me up. Yesterday we even went out on a date! He took me to this wonderful new burger bar called The Rail. It was so fun to get out of the house and go to a new restaurant and just enjoy time with him. On the 14th we will celebrate his birthday and later that week we leave for Hilton Head. I am still so apprehensive about this vacation- but I think it will be so good for us to have one last  adventure as just the two of us. I think with everything else going on we need this time together- to relax, reconnect, and sit in the sun. XO





No comments:

Post a Comment