Monday, July 30, 2012

Crying Over Cake

Hi Friends. Happy Monday to you. I spent a bunch of time this weekend trying to adjust to the new diet. I figure even though I don't start testing my blood sugar until Tuesday and I don't meet with the dietician until Friday, I still better get a jump start on this whole low-carb thing. I have to tell you, I did have a momentary melt down. On Saturday there was a birthday party for Nick's little sister...everything was going along fine, until they starting bringing out the cakes- yes there is an "s" on the end.

There was a decadent gluten free chocolate cake (my favorite), an ice cream cake, and chocolate peanut butter cupcakes. It was as if time stood still- everyone around me was enjoying their plates full of cake...and there I sat, completely cake-less. I know it sounds absurd, but I went into the bathroom and cried. Not a big cry, just a short pity party induced sniffle. I knew I was being ridiculous but I was feeling fragile (for no good reason at all- blame it on the pregnancy hormones). I realized the pre-gestational diabetes me would have indulged in a little bit of each kind of cake...and it sort of horrified me. I was so ignorant to carbs before.

So I survived my first social outing at a low-carb gal. It wasn't particularly fun but I made it. Speaking of celebrations- today marks the start of my third trimester! I have said it before- but pregnancy comes loaded with such a mix of feelings. Part of me feels like I have been pregnant forever and part of me can't believe I have hit my third trimester already. Today Miss Nora is the size of an eggplant and she is around 2 pounds. Only 12 more weeks to go (give or take)...

No comments:

Post a Comment