Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Nursery Thoughts

Hi Friends. How is your week coming along? I am still trying to catch my breath from all the events at LU last weekend. It still doesn't seem real- how can he really be finished with his Masters? I keep wanting  to ask him what work he has due on Sunday so we can plan our time around it. But guess what, he has absolutely nothing due...what an interesting feeling!

This weekend is going to be jam packed as well. Friday and Saturday our little town of Navarre is hosting it's annual garage sale weekend. We live on a main street in town so we are usually crazy busy. I can tell you that I hate garage sales, I hate having people go through all your stuff and and all the haggling- will you take a quarter for this??? Really! But, we do need to clear out some things in preparation for baby. And it's always good to make a little extra money. Anything we make we are going to put towards this years Hilton Head trip. But really, I find the whole process to be fairly miserable.

Speaking of making room for baby...oh my there is so much to do. When we moved into our house I never considered the idea of a baby living there (crazy I know). Our house is so super tiny. We are converting Nick's office into the nursery and Nick is moving his stuff into my current office/craft room in our spare bedroom. Sharing an office isn't ideal but it's going to have to work.

I promised myself I wouldn't buy very much for the nursery until we knew what the gender was (June 5th- please come soon). We have gotten a crib, dresser, and rocking chair with ottoman. Today I ventured into Babies R' Us for the first time in years- oh my. We found and purchased a changing table on clearance for a song. And I did cave a few weeks ago and purchased a large grey and cream striped rug from Home Goods. I know whatever gender the baby might be- grey will be a must- along with plenty of other neutrals. Oh- and my Mom found me a six foot tall vintage locker- which is unbelievably quirky and amazing all at the same time.

The problem is that I am obsessed with decorating- really it's one of my favorite things in the whole wide world. Having to be so patient with this nursery has been killing me. I keep searching for images online and I just can't find any sort of theme that I like. I know this sounds ridiculous because it's a baby- but I don't want anything cutesy. I want this nursery to feel as odd-ball as the rest of our house. I want a vintage feel and for heaven's sake I don't want it to look like it came out of a catalogue.

In a few weeks we will begin moving out all of Nick's stuff. From there we have to rip up the carpet, refinish the original wooden floors, rip up the flooring in the attached bathroom, install a new vanity in the attached bathroom, rip into the wall and add new pipes and wiring, and repaint the entire room. I am considering also putting up wainscoting around the entire room as well. Oh my- so very much to do. Not to mention the stress of picking paint colors, window treatments, themes, etc. Who knew a baby's little room could be so exhausting? Although I am not so excited for all the hard work involved, I am so excited to think about the room that my baby will come home to. XO


No comments:

Post a Comment