Saturday, September 3, 2011

A Dinner Party with a Butter-less Cake

Hello Friends! I hope you are having a nice long weekend. Mine has been pretty wonderful so far. Friday night we hosted a dinner party for some of our closest friends. I had fretted about this party all week. I really wanted my friends to feel special when they came to our house, I wanted them to feel welcomed and loved. For some reason, creating an atmosphere where people feel warm and cozy means so much to me. Anyways, I began prep work for the party Thursday after work. Nick was doing his best to help too. He offered to make the cinnamon swirl cake. Well long story short, the butter never made it into the cake! Oops. I was convinced our little cake was ruined and my mind was racing for a back-up dessert. Turns out, you didn't even miss the butter, but just to be sure, I added about an inch of cream cheese frosting and sparkly sprinkles for good measure! YUM!

We spent the evening eating, laughing, and enjoying each others company. There was a moment of clarity  towards the end of the evening. We are blessed with such wonderful friends. Life gets too busy and sometimes relationships suffer. Sometimes after a long week at work the last thing I want to do is reach out and put effort into others (I know it sounds awful). But it is nights like this that make me truly long for more time with these special people. Each person that filled my tiny house on Friday means the world to me...and they don't even mind cake with no butter!

Today Nick and I got together with my Mom and Step-Dad and visited three antique malls. It was a glorious day of shopping. The pictures of all my new goodies will be coming soon...stay tuned my friends! XO
Decoration for the dinner party. 




No comments:

Post a Comment